Friday, March 31, 2017

6. Giraffes Can't Dance

6. Giraffes Can't Dance by Giles Andreae. Illustrated by Guy Parker-Rees.

If  you know anything about me, it's that I used to have crazy self-esteem issues. I felt pretty worthless and I hated, hated, hated my body. When I lived in Montreal July 2011-June 2012, I learned of my self-worth. I had a self esteem vlog for a little bit, and later transitioned it to a blog. I haven't updated the blog since I announced my pregnancy last June. I'd love to post about loving yourself post partum, but who has the time?!

Anyway, I've gone on this tangent because the giraffe in this story, named Gerald, feels sad that he can't dance like the other animals in the story.

"Gerald swallowed bravely
as we walked toward the floor.
But the lions saw him coming,
and they soon began to roar.

'Hey, look at clumsy Gerald,'
the animals all sneered.
'Giraffes can't dance, you silly fool!
Oh, Gerald, you're so weird.'

Gerald simply froze up.
He was rooted to the spot.
They're right, he thought, I'm useless.
Oh, I feel like such a clot."

Basically, the animals are all dicks and push Gerald away because he dances differently than the other animals. Gerald gets very sad and walks away. He later finds a cricket, who gives him some great advice while he's looking up at the moon.

"'Excuse me!' coughed a cricket
who'd seen Gerald earlier on.
'But sometimes when you're different
you just need a different song.'

'Listen to the swaying
grass and listen to the trees.
To me the sweetest music is
those branches in the breeze.'

'So imagine that the lovely
moon is playing just for you-
everything makes music
if you really want it to.'

The cricket starts playing a violin, and Gerald dances with delight. He doesn't care what he looks like. He doesn't care what other animals may think. He dances like no ones watching, and to his surprise, all the other animals love his dancing! Gerald closes the book by teaching the other animals how to dance like he does. He says, "We all can dance when we find music that we love."

I think this book teaches confidence. Once you dance and do things for yourself, without fear of judgement, is when you can really excel and find your inner happiness. And sometimes you need that push from a parent, spouse, or eavesdropping cricket.

And it was when I finally came to terms with my body and started loving it without judgement or hate that I truly felt happiness. I pushed myself initially, but I've constantly needed pushes from my husband to keep up this way of thinking. Kids can learn a lot from Gerald, and I hope this book will be one of Jenny's favorites.

No comments:

Post a Comment