Sunday, March 12, 2017

1-4. Contrast Board Books


1. Spots and Dots by Art Baby
2. Look Look! by Peter Linenthal
3. Look Look Outside! by Peter Linenthal
4. Look at the Animals! by Peter Linenthal

The first 4 books I read to my daughter were all high contrast board books. These were given to me by a former coworker and friend for my baby shower last summer. I love getting books from youth librarians, they really know their stuff.

Spots and Dots can't really be read to Jenny. Because there are no words. Each page has different shapes in high contrasting colors like black, white, pink, yellow, red, and blue. It's just something to look at. Down the road, it'll be a great book to help her count and to learn shapes, but for right now, it's simply to stimulate her eyes and brain. It helps her eyes to focus. Boring book for me, but pretty interesting to her.

Nightmare fuel
The 3 books by Peter Linenthal are also black and white with one additional color, red, green, or yellow. These are much more interesting for mommy to read. Why? Because words. I actually really like the dark line illustrations, with the exception of one. The sun. It's terrifying.

I noticed Look Look Outside has punctuation, while the others do not. I might be knit-picking... but that's weird.

Overall, solid books. They'll be really great for when Jenny starts counting and learning animal sounds. Until then, they're just great to look at.

No comments:

Post a Comment