Sunday, May 14, 2017

16. On the Farm

16. On the Farm: A Touch-and-Feel Book 



I'm really liking these touch-and-feel books for Jenny right now. She's slowly realizing things have different texture, so it's fascinating to watch her discover these different feeling patches in board books like this. I didn't know this when I picked it up from the library, but this is actually a perfect book for the upcoming Mother's Day. My first Mother's Day as an actual, honest-to-God Mother. I'm terrified. I'm excited. I told Peter, "I know it's a Hallmark holiday, but I do want something."

Each page repeats itself with different animals. For example, "I love my mommy. Her ___ is ___." Then it illustrates a mommy animal and her baby with the correct names. Horse and foal. Hen and chick. Pig and piglet. I don't like how the middle three animals all have very similar textures, while the first and last are the only truly unique feeling ones. But I guess you typically wouldn't have something with scales or something that's rough on a farm, so the publishers had to work with what they had.

No comments:

Post a Comment