Thursday, May 11, 2017

15. Colors

15. Colors by Orla Kiely

I chose this book from the shelf simply because my home library had 2 copies. It's a simple book of colors and simple objects. I particularly like it because the thing doesn't necessarily match the realistic color. For example, Kiely chose to portray a boat as being grey, and an elephant as being red. And even though it's not obviously a counting book, there are multiples of these items on every other page, so it could easily become one. The pages with higher contrast appealed more to Jenny, and I counted to her. But overall this will be better for a 2 or 3 year old.

*edit* Upon further investigation, I've learned that Orla Kiely is an European fashion designer. The aesthetics of the illustrations, everything from color choice to the very rounded shapes, and repeating elements makes way more sense now. It also explains why there were 2 copies on the shelf... I'm going to be honest, her stuff is stinking CA-UTE. I mean, I would personally never spend $43 on an apron... but if I did have that kind of money, I'd be throwing it at her.

No comments:

Post a Comment